1. The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai on Thursday 14 June 2018, flagged off Operation LAST HOLD in Monguno Borno State to officially mark the commencement of the operation.
2. The Chief of Army Staff who was represented by the Chief of Training and Operations (Army) Major General David Ahmadu also commission the office complex of the Headquarters Operation LAST HOLD at the Kinasara Barracks Monguno where he presented the Operation LAST HOLD flag to the Commander Major General Abbas Dikko.
3. Major General Ahmadu proceeded to Gudunbali in company of the Theatre Commander Operation Lafiya Dole Major General Rogers Nicholas, where they physically conducted the symbolic traditional house sweeping and farm clearing as part of the Civil – Military aspect of Operation LAST HOLD and to practically demonstrate the humanitarian posture of the operation.
4. Speaking during the event, he stated that, the farm clearing symbolises the readiness to commence the farming season and enjoined the returning Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) to resume their farming occupation as they settle down in their communities.
5. Speaking to the first batch of Internally Displaced persons (IDPs) from Guzamala Local Government Area who had just returned to their ancestral home in Gudunbali. The Theatre Commander described the move as the first step towards returning the Internally Displaced Persons to their communities
6. He appealed to all Humanitarian Agencies in the North East to support the program to assist the Internally Displaced Persons, restore their occupations and pick up their lives again.
He assured all of adequate security for the returnee as they settle down.
7. The Commander Operation LAST HOLD Major General Abba Dikko, the Chief of Civil – Military Affairs (Army) Major General Nuhu Angbazo, the General Officer Commanding 8 Task Force Division, Major General Stevenson Olabanji and other senior officers witnessed the events.