- The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Gabriel Abayomi Olonisakin, Nigerian Army Medal graciously approved the conduct of ARC-Geographic Information System Course for the Armed Forces of Nigeria Intelligence from 16 to 27 July 2018.
- The course which was facilitated by the France Defense Attaché to Nigeria and was organized by the Defence Headquarters in conjunction with the French Military took place here in Defence Intelligence College which is an ideal environment for learning.
- The 2-week intensive training course was in the area of geo-analysis and geo-statistics and was specifically designed for 10 train–the–trainers from the Intelligence Specialty. The participants that attended the course included 3 Nigerian Army officers, 3 Nigerian Navy officers, 2 Nigerian Air Force officers and one civilian staff from the Defence Headquarters.
- The capacity build training for these officers on the use of ARCGIS software and tools is a laudable initiative which is in line with the Vision of the Chief of Defence Staff ‘‘to ensure a well-motivated, trained and equipped Armed Forces that is responsive to national security commitments.’’ This brief therefore is to intimate us on some key aspect of the course.
OVERVIEW OF THE COURSE
- ArcGIS is the core server of Geographic Information System application software for creating and using maps to compile geographic data, analyze mapped information as well as discovering, managing and sharing of geographic information in a database.
- Arc-Geographic Information System plays important role in tactical military operations, being useful in intelligence gathering, battle field management, terrain analysis, deployment of troops, military installation management and monitoring of possible terrorist activity. Also to note is that Geographic Information System will enable own troop to become versatile by providing geospatial-information for field commanders to visualize the areas of operation in order to take prompt and necessary decisions during combat operations.
THE COURSE CONTENT
- The course which is theory and more of practical comprises of the following packages:
- Introduction to Geographic data.
- Map layer Management.
- Symbology of Qualitative data.
- Symbology of Quantitative data.
- Using Labels and Annotations
- Study of Geographical data
- Coordinate Systems and Map projection
- Management of Tables
- Editing of data
- Creating Geo-databases and features classes
- Solving spatial problems through analysis
- Getting of Localizations from tabular data
- and the Final Project.
- The programme was intensive and well packaged specifically designed for intelligence personnel to broaden their knowledge on the various analytical tools that ARCGIS software provides to aid intelligence gathering for the conduct of military operations. The course was more of practical as the instructors guided the students on the basic rudiments on how to effectively enhance their proficiency on the use of GIS software analytical tools. Consequently, the students were given individual class work and assignment to improve on their proficiency on the GIS analytical tools. In this regard, the students demonstrated satisfactory level of commitment and determination throughout the course which has led to the awards of certificates on Arc-Geographic Information System.
- It is imperative to state that the officers demonstrated high level of commitment during the 2-week programme. As the course coordinator, I am confident to state that the officers are now qualified to train the trainees on ARCGIS software. In this regards, I wish to most respectful thank the Commandant, Defence Intelligence College for providing us with a conductive classroom and other necessary facilities towards the successful completion of the course.