1. Good morning Gentlemen of the Press. You are once again welcome to our bi-weekly briefing on the Armed Forces of Nigeria’s operational activities. Various kinetic operations were carried out to deny terrorists, armed bandits and other criminal elements freedom of action as well as frustrate movement of arms and other illegal items in all theatres of ops. Similarly, several operations were carried out to curb illegal oil activities and deter economic saboteurs freedom of action in carrying out their nefarious activities.In the last two weeks, considerable achievements were recorded in the various theatres of operation. However, this brief is a summary of our operational effort in the various theatres that yielded significant results from 29 July to 12 August 2021.
OPERATION HADIN KAI
2. The Headquarters of Operation HADIN KAI has intensified its operations in the North East theatre. The intensity of these operations has yielded tremendous results as evidenced in the number of casualties and massive surrender of terrorists in BuniYari, Gorgore, Baga and Monguno Towns as well as Maiduguri -Baga Road, Maiduguri -Damboa Road and BulaYobe-DarelJamel Road. Operations were also carried out at Kayamri and Mairarivillages as well as Monguno and Kukawa Towns, all in Borno State. Cumulatively, the operations led to the neutralization of 27 BHT/ISWAP fighters, arrest of 51BHT/ISWAP terrorists, 3 terrorists’ collaborators as well as recovery of 35 assorted arms and 1,051 round of ammunition includingAK-47 and FN rifles, Dushkaanti-aircraft guns, GPMG, PKT guns, 60mm mortartubes, Makarov pistol and other machine guns, amongst other items. In addition, 29 abducted civilians were rescued within the period under review. Gentlemen no fewer than 1,000 terrorists and their families comprising adult females and children surrendered to own troops at different locations in the North East. Notable among them are the notorious BHT bomb expert named, Musa Adamu aka Mala Musa Abuja and his deputy, UsmanAdamu aka Abu Darda. This has in no small measure depleted the BHT fighting force.
OPERATION HADARIN DAJI
3. On 31 July 2021, there were distress calls from locals, on cattle rustling and kidnapping incidents and armed bandits’ attacks on farmers, at Bagidavillagein Sokoto State; Shinkafiin Zamfara State and Maigora, Falale and UngwanDuduvillages as well asKankara – KatsinaRoad in Katsina State. In all incidents, troops repelled the criminals, rescued farmers and kidnapped victims as well as recovered arms, ammunition and some livestock, while some criminal elements were arrested. Cumulatively, a total of 89 livestock, 5 AK-47 rifles, 3 rounds of 9mm ball and 48 rounds of 7.62mm NATO ammunitionwere recovered and 4 kidnap victims rescued. Also, 2 notorious cattle rustlers named,MallamBuda Umar from Niger Republic and Mai Hatsi Ibrahim from Gada LGA of Sokoto State as well as 4 armed bandits and drug peddlers were arrested. Furthermore, between 2 and 6 August 2021, the Air Component of Operation HADARIN DAJI, carried out intensive air strikes on bandits’ hideout sat the South of Dansadau Town; North of Kwiambana Forest Reserves as well as North of Sububu Forest and Dudufivillage under Faru District in Maradun LGA, all in Zamfara State. The air strikes resulted in the destruction of bandits’ structures including the residence of one of their leaders, HaliluTubali, in which the armed bandits converged for a meeting. The air strikes in conjunction with ground troops’ assaults resulted in the neutralization of no fewer than 123 armed bandits and destruction of their logistics facilities in the process.
OPERATION SAFE HAVEN
4. In Operation SAFE HAVEN, Troops carried out rescue operations in different locations. During one of the operations, 2 Fulani herdsmen were rescued at Mararaban Tifa Town, 2 kidnapped victims at Ungwan Ayaba District in Nasarawa State and one along Tahoss-Sopp Road in Plateau State. Additionally, on its Civil-Military Cooperation, on 29 July 2021, Operation Safe Haven donated exercise books and other writing materials to students of Pilot Science Primary School at Bungha Mangu LGA of Plateau and Government Secondary School, Zango in ZangoKataf LGA of Kaduna State. In BarkinLadi LGA, Plateau State it distributed 45 wheelchairs to physically challenged persons as part of non-kinetic approach towards achieving peace in the North Central Zone. Furthermore, troops held peace and security meetings with community heads, youth leaders and other critical stakeholders at the Emir Palace in Wase LGA and Jengre Town in Bassa LGA of Plateau State, to discuss the various security challenges in the general area.
OPERATION WHIRL STROKE
5. On 5 and 8 August 2021, troop carried out raid operations and responded to distress calls at NwokporoAgbagedo Community in Ado LGA and on bandits’ hideouts at ZakiBiam in Ukum LGA of Benue State as well as GarinDogovillage in Lau LGA and Lau – Jalingo Road,Taraba State. The operations led to the destruction of bandits’ hideouts, arrest of 8 armed bandits including their informants and rescue of some kidnap victims. Items recovered in the course of the operations include, 6 AK-47 rifles, one SMG, 2 pistols, 66 rounds of 7.62mm NATO ammunition among other items.Within the same period, troops also held peace and security meetings with community heads, youths’leaders and other stakeholders at different locations including Udugbeho Community in Agatu LGA and Igumale Town in Otukpo LGA of Benue State, Dirigi Community in Dobere Council Ward, Lau LGA of Taraba State. Issues discussed centered on sustainable peace, prevention of communal clashes and indiscriminate farm destruction by herders’ cattle andother security challenges in the states.
OPERATION THUNDER STRIKE/WHIRL PUNCH
6. The various operations conducted within the period led to the arrest of armed bandits and their collaborators in Kaduna and Niger States. On 30 and 31 July, troops arrested one ZubairuShehu at Toll Gate Area in Kakauvillage as well as one ShehuYahaya, who runs errands for and provides logistics supplies to bandits at SabonGayanvillage in Chikun LGA of Kaduna State. Also, on 5 and 8 August, troops carried out Cordon and Search operations on a notorious bandits’ hideout at Mangorovillage in Munya LGA of Niger State and Gwagwadavillage in Chikun LGA of Kaduna State. Items recovered during the operations include 2 AK-47 rifles, one Dane gun and 14 rounds of 7.62mm NATO ammunition.
OPERATION DELTA SAFE
7. Within the period in focus, troops of Operation DELTA SAFE conducted series of anti-illegal oil operations in the South-South Zone of the Country. These operations were conducted at Orutoru area in Bayelsa State; Olutoro and Adamakirivillages in Bonny LGA, Udeyeada Community in Andoni LGA of Rivers State; and Opuebubor Creek in Warri South LGA of Delta State. These led to the discovery and deactivation of several illegal refining sites with a total of 21 ovens, 12 dugout pits and 58 metal storage tanks laden with a total of 2.329 millionlitres of illegally refined AGO and 2.19 millionlitres of stolen crude oils as well as 2 boilers and 750 bags of illegally refined oil products. During the operations, own troops also recovered one speed boat, one AK-47 rifle, one FN rifle, 3 Smoke gun rifles, 12 fabricated RPGs, 263 live cartridges, 20 rounds of 7.62mm NATO and 7.62mm special ammunition among other items.
8. Within the period under review, security forces ambushed and neutralized 6 IPOB/ESN members, who were involved in the killing of a District Police Officer (DPO) at Omuma Town in Orlu East LGA of Imo State and arrested 3. Furthermore, security forces following intelligence report arrested one notorious IPOB/ESN member named Obumneke Gabriel at UmueliAmaraku Town in IsialaMbano LGA of Imo State. The criminal was in possession of arms and ammunition during the arrest. Relatedly, troops raided IPOB/ESN members’ hideout at AmaechiIdodocommunity in Nkanu LGA of Enugu State and NguzuEdda in Afikpo South LGA of Ebonyi State. During the operations one ESN commander was neutralized and another apprehended. Cumulatively, a total of 6 IPOB/ESN members were neutralizedand 13 criminal elements arrested by own troops and other security forces operating in the Zone within the period. Troops also recovered a total of 19 AK-47 rifles, 2 single barrel Dane guns, one G3 assault rifle and 3 locally-made pistols. Other items recovered were 30 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition, 3 daggers, and one locally-made double barrel pistol loaded with 10 rounds of cartridges were recovered in the course of the operations.
10. The Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies have and will continued to remain committed to fight all forms of criminality until sustainable peace is achieved in our dear Country. The Military High Command appreciates the enormous sacrifices of the troops in the various theatres of operations across the Country. It salutes their courage, service and commitment to the nation. We appreciate the general public and the press for the support and you are further encouraged to continue to provide credible and timely information that will facilitate our proactive engagements in all the theatres of operation.
11. Thank you and God bless.
(Pictures of some incidents from the various operations are available for you necessary action).
Defence Media Operations
12 August 2021.