Gentlemen of the press, on behalf of the Chief of Defence Staff General LEO Irabor I most sincerely welcome you once again to the Defence Headquarters for the bi-weekly briefing on operational activities of the Armed Forces of Nigeria. In the last two weeks, troops of the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies continued the task of engendering peace and protection of lives and property across the six geo-political zones of the Country. This brief will highlight the operations conducted by own troops and other security agencies to tackle insecurity between 10 – 24 February 2022.
OPERATION HADIN KAI
- During the period under review, own troops conducted operations along Pulka-Kariwa, Kekeno, Road Gwoza-Limankava-Damboa Biu road to Sabon Gari at Mandaragrau in Biu Local Government Area, Gadayi Village in Gubio Local Government Area, Mandara Hill in Gwoza Local Government Area, as well as Kirta Wulgo in Marte Local Government Area all in Borno State Furthermore, own troops Operational activities in Bama, Mafa, Dikwa, Gamboru,Gwoza, Banki junction and Kondiya all in Borno State led to the Surrendering of 466 Boko Haram and ISWAP Terrorists and their families, comprising of 120 Adult Males, 137 Adult Females and 209 Children with the claimed to have lost interest in the BHT ideology. Relatedly, On 11 Feb the Air Component of OPERATION HADIN KAI carried out air interdiction at Bukar mairam village in Marte Local Government Area, in the process Mohammed Yusuf the leader of Rijal Amn Special Forces was neutralized. Cumulatively, the troops within the last 2 weeks, neutralized 63 fighters, arrested 86 members of the terrorists, recovered 4 gun trucks, 25 AK47 rifles, 56 magazines with 6.2mm special ammunitions, 78 rounds of different calibers of ammunitions, 67 packets of rounds on links, 3 FN grenades and 3 bandoliers. Additionally, 20 abducted civilians were rescued by own troops. The surrendered terrorists have been properly documented and handed over to the appropriate authorities for necessary actions.
OPERATION HADARIN DAJI
2. Troops of Operation HADARIN DAJI within the period under review conducted several operational at different locations. Some of the areas are Manya Village in Anka Local Government Area, Gidan Wanzamai Village, Babege Village in Maru Local Government Area, Mada, Tudun Wada, Butsa and South Rafi in Gusau Local Government Area, Kaura Namoda, Getawa, Ungwan Kade, Ahole and Totsari Villages in Zamfara State. Others are Magamar Village, Feru in Jibia Local Government Area, Guga Village in Bakori Local Government Area, Yantumaki, Kaiga in Danmusa Local Government Area of Katsina State. In a related development, the air component of Operation HADARIN DAJI conducted air strikes on Boko Haram enclaves at Magama Village, Tsaunin Babare Village and Tsamben Babare Village in Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina State where a notorious bandit leader, One Mallam Dogo Umaru and scores of his foot soldier were neutralized. Cumulatively, these operations resulted in the recovery of 10 AK 47 rifles, 100 rounds of 6.2mm ammunitions, 20 motorcycles, 40 herds of rustled cows, 50 rams. Troops also rescued 10 kidnapped civilians, arrested 10 bandits and neutralized 10 bandits. All arrested criminals and recovered items have been handed over to the appropriate authorities.
OPERATION SAFE HAVEN
3. The troops of Op Safe Haven sustained their Kinetic and non – Kinetic operations in different locations of the theatre which yielded notable results at Sabon Gari Village in Wase Local Government Area, Tahan Village in Bokkos Local Government Area, Kwalla District in Quan’an Pan Local Government Area, Sabo Gidan Kanal Village in Jos South, Bisichi Du in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area and Bindi Community in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State. Other locations include, Kajuru Local Government Area, Pari Ikulu in Kauru Local Government Area, Sabon Kaura Village, Zaman Kataf Local Government Area in Kaduna State. As part of its Non – Kinetic measures troops of OP SAFE HAVEN held a peace submit in Bassa LGA for Irigwe Youths and Fulani Youths on 17 Feb 2022. The peace submit was a prelude to the implementation of a peace plan by a committee that worked out modalities towards achieving lasting peace in the area. Accordingly, a total of 1 AK 47 rifle, 2 locally made guns, 4 rustled cows, 1Toyota Camry car and I Mikano generating set were recovered, while 3 Cattle rustlers and 2 Kidnappers were arrested. Also, a total of 60 displaced person were rescued and taken to shelter. All recovered items and rescued persons have been handed over to the appropriate authorities for further actions.
OPERATION DELTA SAFE
4. In the last 2 weeks troops of Operation DELTA SAFE conducted clearance operations in different locations in creeks, villages, towns and communities in Sama Rumodogo in Degema Local Government Area, Rumuji, Elele Alimini in Emouha Local Government Area, Ogbogolo in Abiakpo Local Government Area, Benstave Community Cree in Akuku, Toru Local Government Area of River State. other locations include, Ikebiri Community in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area, Ozobo Communities in Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State. Others are Yeye Creek in Burutu Local Government Area and Efiye Community in Warri Local Government Area of Delta. Ikot Iwang Community in Bakassi of Cross River State and Ozaku Community, Owaza forest in Ukwa West Local Government Area of Abia State.
5. Consequently, troops within the period under review, recovered a total of One million, One hundred and eighteen thousand, One hundred and Seventy-Five litres (1,118,175 litres) of illegal AGO and Two Million and Eight Six Thousand litres (2,086.000 litres) of stolen crude oil. Similarly, troops discovered 38 refining sites, 100 metal storage tanks, 25 dugout pits, 75 cooking ovens, 20 cotonou boats, 35 Yamaha pumping machines, 15 coolants as well as 10 tankers were recovered. Also, 35 galvanized pipes illegally connected were destroyed. Furthermore, 13 economic saboteurs associated with pipeline vandalization were arrested. All recovered items and apprehended criminals have been handed over to the appropriate authorities for further actions.
OPERATION THUNDER STRIKE/WHIRL PUNCH
6. The air component carried out air interdiction on terrorist/ bandits enclaves in South of Damari in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State after a painstaking air reconnaissance missions on terrorist/bandits enclaves, The air interdiction neutralized several armed terrorists close to the Nigerian Defence Academy. The armed bandits numbering about 75 engaged ground troops in a fierce battle around Labi general area along the Kaduna – Birnin Gwari road. The bandits came under heavy airstrikes which aided the ground forces to effectively engaged the bandits and neutralized bandits. Consequently, the operation resulted in the neutralization of a total of 55 bandits. Similarly, own troops in Agasha in Guma Local government area of Benue State in an encounter with criminals at the Gbekyor general area rescued 10 kidnapped civilians and arrested 3 of the criminal elements, Furthermore, troops on clearance operations on 22 February 2022 in Mbayongo area in Katsina Ala local government area came in a contact with bandits terrorizing the area and neutralized 1 bandit, arrested and recovered 2 locally made guns, 1 pistol, 69mm rounds, 7.62mm special. The rescued civilians and arrested criminals have been handed to the appropriate authorities for further actions,
7. Finally, gentlemen of the press I wish to convey the appreciation of the Military High Command to our troops in the frontlines of the various theatre of operations for their zeal and commitment in containing the various securities challenges across the country. The general public is also appreciated for their cooperation across the country in providing useful information in aiding our operations. We will continue to solicit for more cooperation in the fight against criminalities across the country. Gentlemen of the press and the entire press community for your partnership and support in aid of our military operations across the country. Thanks for honouring our invitation and God bless.
(Pictures of some incidents from the various operations carried out within the period under review are available for your necessary action).
Defence Media Operations
24 February 2022